A Creative Approach — Project 1 Marking marks — Stage 2 — Exercise 3
This exercise involved repeating exercise 1 using a wider range of materials — paints, coloured pencils, crayons, sticks, brushes, sponges, etc.
I started this exercise again tonight (08/07) and am much happier with how the marks and explorations are turning out. when I began this class, I was “stuck” when doing the drawing and mark-making exercises and working in a journal. I watched the Example: Mark Making (No 1) video after reading the Keeping Sketchbooks article and related articles and then I started a couple of Sharon Boggon’s online classes – Artists Studio Journal: A Designers workhorse (began 22nd May) and Sumptuous Surface Embroidery (began 2 weeks later). I haven’t finished the embroidery class yet but have the notes to continue with later. both classes were really great – and a huge help for me in doing this class. we had to do similar exercises for the studio journal class as for this OCA class, but I found that the feedback from other students and Sharon and her assistant Tahlia was very helpful. it led me to doing some more of the explorations below. also, I signed up for an art class on coursera.org and the introduction video exercises were helpful too.
These are using Winsor & Newton inks and pen nibs of different sizes. On the second page I wet the paper first in some of them and then made drops on the page and the inks spread out like little fractal splotches. I love this effect.
These three are using Brusho paint powders and water sprayed onto the paper. I love this effect also, though I prefer it when the paint is still wet and glossy. it loses some of the effect once the paper dries. I will look into a way of trying to preserve the “wet-look” of these. (these were made over the weekend 30/06)
Brusho paint powders, water and Aquawax:
This one had a “puddle” of paint on the edge of the page which looked nice when it was wet. I don’t think it looks as nice once the ink has dried, so now I’m keeping this in mind so I can soak up the excess paint or move it across the page if there are any more puddles.
This is thickly applied watercolour paints (tube) with glad wrap/plastic wrap scrunched on it whilst it’s drying. I’m not happy with how this one worked out either — there is a couple of nice marbling effects on it, but I thought it would create more of them. Next time I will try with acrylic paints.